Damaged circuit breaker

EPHRATA – A Grant PUD employee is among 16 people receiving the 2016 Governor’s Lifesaving Award after helping a co-worker at Priest Rapids Dam last October.

PUD electrician Jared Mooney was one of six workers injured when a circuit breaker on one of the dam’s generator malfunctioned, causing an arc flash.

An arc flash is an electrical discharge traveling through the air between conductors formed from a conductor to the ground.

Mooney was burned in the accident, but he helped another injured co-worker whose clothes were on fire, potentially saving his life.

Mooney and the other nominees are receiving their awards at a ceremony during the 65th annual Governor’s Industrial Safety and Health Conference on Thursday at the Spokane Convention Center.

The Governor’s Lifesaving Award is given out for employees in the state who perform lifesaving actions while on duty. 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.